The Billerica & Bedford Railroad was built in 1877 to connect Bedford Depot on the Middlesex Central Railroad with North Billerica Station on the Boston & Lowell. The B&B was the country s first common carrier two-foot-gauge railway. In 1885, the B&L built a standard-gauge extension of its Lexington Branch upon the roadbed. There were five passenger stations on this line: Bedford Springs, South Billerica, Turnpike, Billerica and Bennett Hall. The segment between Bedford Depot and Billerica Center was abandoned in 1962, and Bedford purchased the land within its boundaries. Woods and residences border the NGRT. Most of the roadbed is surfaced with stonedust. Hybrid or mountain-type bikes are recommended.