This rail trail was once the 'Georgetown Spur' of the Boston and Maine Railroad. It was an extension of the Boston/Newburyport line which provided passenger service from 1851-1931. It was well known for its 'Supper Train'. The line stayed active as a freight line serving the Haverhill Paperboard Company until 1981, when it was abandoned. The City of Haverhill acquired the ROW in 2009. The 1/2 mile long rail trail opened in June 2017.
The next 1100 feet of the trail was funded in April 2019, for construction in 2020. It will then be extended to the Groveland Rail Trail.