The Middlesex Central Railroad was built in 1873 from Bedford Depot to Concord Center. It was extended to the Concord Reformatory in 1879. Passenger service ended in 1927 and 1962 for freight. The trail is currently 4 miles of unimproved dirt. The town of Bedford submitted their 25% design plans to MassDOT in April 2017 for a 12-foot wide paved trail. Construction is scheduled to start in 2022.